Method #5 – One day fast every week
Eat-Stop-Eat diet is what this method of fasting is called. This involves abstaining from food for a period of 24 hours. There are people who may decide to fast from lunch to lunch or breakfast to breakfast.
If you are on a diet such as this, it is possible to take tea, water or any other drink that is calorie free. During non – fasting days, you will have to eat normally. Although this form of fasting doesn’t reduce the type of food you consume, it can help in reducing your overall calorie intake in your system.
This method of fasting can prove to be challenging for lots of people. For instance, it can cause irritability, headache or fatigue. Although with the passage of time, your body is going to adjust to such a new eating pattern. Thus, you will no longer feel the effects.
Before trying out a fast that can last for 24 hours, it is recommended that you first do either the 16 hours or 12 hours fast explained above.
Method #6 – Skipping of meals
This is a flexible approach and it is very perfect if you’re starting out. It is the habit of skipping meals occasionally. You can decide which of the meals to skip based on time restraints or hunger level. Just remember that the food you are eating should always be healthy. If you understand how to respond to the hunger signal of your body, skipping of meals will be very helpful. Those making use of this fasting method will eat anytime they seem to be hungry. They will not eat anything once they aren’t hungry. This method of fasting is very natural as compared to the others above.
Method #7 – Warrior diet
This intermittent fasting method is very extreme. It involves having to eat very little. This is usually some raw vegetables and fruits in a period of 24 hour fast. During night period, one large meal will be eaten. The time allowed to eat is 4 hours.
This fasting method is great for those that have tried out other methods in the past. Those who support warrior diet are of the opinion that human beings are eaters (nocturnal). In order words, body nutrients are gained during night periods.
During the eating phase of 4hours, lots of protein, vegetables and fruits should be consumed. Some carbohydrates should also be included. These are great food for fasting due to their nutritious nature. A major challenge with this method is that most people usually struggle when it comes to eating meals that are large before bedtime. Also, the fibre intake of people who are on such a diet will be very low. This can make someone prone to cancer. Also, there is the chance of weak immune and digestive system.
How to maintain intermittent fasting
Following an intermittent fasting program is a very difficult task. In order to achieve your goals, you will need to follow the tips below.
- Always remain hydrated. You can take lots of water, herbal tea, and calorie – free drinks throughout the day.
- Avoid any form of food distraction. You can stop thinking about foods and try to focus on other activities such as watching movies, reading books and playing games.
- Strenuous exercises should be avoided. Yoga has been discovered to be very beneficial during such a period though. Proper rest and relaxation is the key.
- Ensure each calorie counts. In case your chosen plan allows you to consume some calories, take foods that contain fiber and protein. These could be avocadoes, nuts, fish, eggs, lentils and others. They are great and nutritious food for fasting.
- High – volume foods should be eaten like raw vegetables, popcorn, fruits like watermelon and grape.
- Eating season meals which don’t contain calories. These could be done through vinegar, spices, herbs or garlic. Food for fasting like these will contain fewer amounts of calories but can add lots of flavor. This will help reduce your cravings for food.
- Foods which contain nutrients should be eaten after such fasting period.
Intermittent fasting can be done in various ways. These various methods are great for different individuals. You should try various styles in order to find out what works best for your system.
Irrespective of any method which you must have chosen, ensure that your body is prepared for the exercise ahead. Trying to force your system may bring about some health issues in the long run.
These methods of fasting or dieting will not work for anyone who seems to be suffering from eating disorder. They worsen their condition.
Those suffering from one form of abnormal condition or the other are advised to get professional advice from their doctors before trying to fast. A typical example is diabetes.
During non – fast days, it is very important that you eat foods that are nutritious. Balanced – diet intake shouldn’t be ignored in any way.