Magnesium is one important mineral that is needed by your body to function properly. It regulates blood sugar as well as other chemical processes in the body and produces energy.
The mineral also helps to build teeth and bones. Magnesium equally coordinates and ensure the balance of other minerals like potassium, zinc and calcium. Organs like your muscles, kidneys and heart all require a reasonable level of magnesium to function properly.
A couple of health challenges can bring about deficiencies in magnesium, they include:
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as Crohn’ disease, celiac disease and irritable bowel syndrome
- kidney disease
- Stomach viruses that are responsible for diarrhea and vomiting.
An extreme level of alcohol or caffeine consumption on a daily basis can affect the quantity of calcium you have in your body.
The National Institutes of Health advises that the following amount of magnesium be taken on a daily basis:
- Children between 1-3 years are to take 80mg
- Children between 4-8 years are to take 130mg
- Children between 9-13 years are to take 240mg
- Teens between 14-18 years: boys are to take 410mg while girls are to take 360mg
- Adults between 19-30 years: men are to take 400mg and women are to take 310mg
- Adults who above 31 years: men are to take 420mg and women are to take 320mg
Magnesium can be gotten naturally from various foods. While the deficiency of magnesium is not something that is common, Americans are not making the most of this mineral in their diets. Adults get to consume only 66% of what is required of them. This could be traced to the high number of processed food that we consume.
The 10 highlighted foods below are natural foods high in magnesium. For a boost in magnesium, you should incorporate the highlighted foods into your diet plan.
[tps_start_button label=”CONTINUE” style=”background-color: #25bd80; color: #ffffff; font-size: 40px; width: 100%; height: auto; margin: 8px auto; text-align: center; display: block; clear: both; padding-left: 15px; padding-right: 15px;” class=””]